Thursday 14 April 2016

10 things you should know about Veteran Nollywood Actress Bukky Ajayi



Only few people existed before the emergence of Africa’s largest movie Industry, Nollywood. But there is an enigmatic woman of substance who knew the Nigerian Movie industry even before it began. It’s Nigerian veteran, Bukky Ajayi who remains a icon. i remember wanting to see her after I watched the Popular early 90’s yoruba movie “ Iru eshin” . here are some key points you need to know about her :

1.  Bukky Ajayi was born on the 2nd on February 1964 in Nigeria.
Read More

2. Her passion for acting grew when her  father used to take her to the cinemas. She was quoted saying “I used to tell him that one day I am going to be like one of those actresses, but unfortunately he never lived to see me become an actress,it’s a pity but that’s God’s will. When I was a very young girl,my interest was so much that I used to do a cardboard sort of cinema for children, and I used to charge them half a penny to come and watch”.

3. She studied in England as a federal government scholar but after six years she came back to Nigeria in 1965.


4. In 1966, she became a presentation assistant with Nigerian Television Authority (N.T.A) under the leadership of Dr. Christopher Kolade. She presented a couple of children’s programmes and ‘Nigerian’s Sketches’,a programme which was all about Nigerian culture,She was later transferred to Port Harcourt and later back to Lagos, and it was at that time she started her acting career.


5. Her first movie was when she got a role in “ Village Headmaster”  and then she later got a role in Amaka Igwe “Checkmate”
6. Bukky Ajayi was  part of the international movie “ Critical Assignment is the most memorable moment of her acting career . she was quoted saying “It gave me an opportunity to see how it is done elsewhere, other than Nigeria, where a movie is shot in five days. I went round the country. I saw how a star is treated. For once in my life, I was a star, I was treated as a star, and I believe I am a star.I had my own caravan with my name on it, my own car with a driver who doubles as my security man. And on days when I am not working the car is there to take me wherever I want to go. I had a lovely time, I enjoyed it and I said to my almighty Allah that Hollywood is the next step.”

7. Bukky Ajayi’s popular Nigerian  movies include Iru eshin, Mother of George, Indecent Girl, Diamond Ring, Witches,Tunde Kelani’s Thunderbolt and countless other movies.

8. She is the Grandmother-in law to  Nigerian Popular hip –hop star, Jazzman Olofin.

9. She converted to islam in her early eighties and added “Zainab to her name.

10.Nollywood,Nigeria  and Africa celebrated with her after she won an industry merit award at AMVCA 2016 where lots of emotions flew.

Watch an emotional Bukky Ajayi at the AMVCA awards :

No comments:

Post a Comment